Friday, August 10, 2012

My Clone Is More Popular Than I Am


When I was in high school I had the thought: “What if I could clone myself and be my own best friend?” Sure I had friends, but I felt like having myself as my closest friend would be awesome – and not in one of those after-school-special you have to love yourself before you can love someone else ways. Like having the opportunity to enjoy the same movies as someone else, laugh at the same jokes, consistently have the reinforcement that I was awesome not weird/awkward/strange etc.

Thinking on it now, it’s probably true that me and my clone, initially, would have had some great times. But then our conversations would be pretty limited because we’d always be thinking the same thing. So it might get boring and redundant and then 24 hours later things would start to change, because once the clone had experiences differing from those I experienced, they would begin to be shaped and molded by the world around them and no longer be identical to me. With my luck, our timelines would look something like this:


Okay, so I think street urchin is an age sensitive phrase, or possibly even a terribly outdated one. Also this reflects my downer world view but as a side note: at least this timeline is more realistic than Michael Crichton's Timeline. Aw Snap! Crichton burns aside, it’s hard enough comparing your life to strangers and friends and family; imagine if you had a clone and they lived your life better than you (I’m sure this is already the premise of several films).  It would be like a continual kick in the teeth.

I guess the real question from all of this is why was I thinking of being my own friend in high school? I guess, like every kid who has ever been through adolescence, I felt out of place. Deep down I craved someone who was closer to my own experience, someone who understood and someone I always felt comfortable around. Then again, maybe I thought this scenario up just because I wanted to tell my friends and get a laugh out of them because when I can get other people to laugh I care less about fitting in. 

No comments: