Wednesday, July 27, 2011

History and American Architecture. Pt 2

So I recently read The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson and I must say it was a wonderful treat. It's part American history, part architectural history and part true crime novel. This book really is a piece of work (cliche, I know). I felt that Larson did a wonderful job weaving these three elements together and keeping the book interesting to the final page.



It's hard to say what I enjoyed best about the book, be it the tidbits of historic trivia tucked in or the moments where the author hints at historic events and you feel like you're in some sort of inside joke because you know to what he is referring.

I also really enjoyed learning new facts that I can use to annoy people with such as the original Ferris wheel was built in response to the creation of the Eiffel tower.

Overall, I thought this book was well written and a delightful read even with some of the gruesome content. I guess I might just be a big geek but I really felt like this was an awesome book for people that like American history and American architecture.

No comments: