Monday, July 4, 2011

Writing Contest!

I can't believe almost a month has passed since I was last on here. I'm a little behind on this post, but no harm no foul.

These past few weeks have given me a lot of time to think about this blog, and the things I really would like to do with it. With that in mind, I’d like to announce the first ever, Fantasy Writers Unite Flash Fiction Contest!

If you feel so inclined, please submit flash fiction stories (1,000 words or less) in any genre. A good rule is to not submit anything too graphic and nothing written with the explicit intent of insulting various genders, races, creeds, etc. I’m really not going to publish something terribly offensive.  Don’t have any flash fiction to submit? No worries, you’ve got 2 months to get something written, edited and submitted.

The window for submissions is: July 1, 2011 – August 31st, 2011.

I’m hoping to have all submissions read and final selections chosen by November 1st, 2011 (since this is a one person outfit).

What happens to your submission? Well, depending on the number of entries and the caliber of entries - if your flash fiction stands out as unique, well written and interesting, then I am going to publish it in a small anthology. Those of you who are selected for publication will be awarded free copies of the anthology and you will have the option of having your story spotlighted on the blog.  You also will still own the rights to your pieces and are free to have them published elsewhere at any time. I am planning on having the finished product available for purchase on this site to help keep this site going. If you are not comfortable with that, please do not submit anything to the contest. I just don't want people to be upset later when they see the anthology for sale but aren't getting a "cut".

I’m aiming for the anthology to be compiled, printed and available for purchase by January 2012 (if not sooner – I’ve never done this before so I’m not sure how long it will take).

Any questions can be directed to me and all submissions (including a short bio) should be electronic and sent to this email address that I made specifically for this contest: ddragonpress@gmail.com

Thank you, good luck and get to writing!

No comments: