Thursday, September 19, 2013

Five More Haiku

A couple of years ago (has it really been that long?) I was working on a story that was going to have some post-apocalyptic haiku featured in it. In case you weren't around back then I had a post with my own haiku here, and a post about how to haiku here. But the point of this post has to do with the fact that I've picked that story back up and come up with some new haiku. While I've written almost 30 haiku now, a lot of them are pretty awful. I went through and picked the five best of the most recent batch to share here. I know they need work, and I haven't mastered the use of punctuation within them yet, and my syllables might be off (because I can be awful about counting them. One minute a word sounds like it has two syllables, the next minute it sounds like it has three, or one, or four. My brain has problems). But all that being said I'm pretty happy with the end result. Enjoy!


Tall grasses wave like 
welcoming friends, hiding the
graves that sleep beneath.

Tiny blossoms grow
where warmth and love do meet; we
struggle in darkness.

The wind rattles dry
branches and sun bleached bones of
those long forgotten.


Hawks fly across the
sky with purpose; we too, move
with deadly intent.

Trees reach within the
dirt, exploring deep places
unsoiled by man.

No comments: