Thursday, January 31, 2013

Fringe



So I watched the finale of Fringe and I wanted to say something about it because it was a terrific show but I'm not sure what to say. I mean, the show's merits speak for themselves, I can't just sit here telling you how great it is, you have to experience it for yourself. But the ending of the series is what most people are currently questioning. Was it a good ending? In some ways yes. I know that sounds very diplomatic, but it was good and in some ways bad at the same time. I guess I take that back. It was not bad but obviously after dedicating years of your life to watching a phenomenal show, when it's over you're going to look back and think of ways it could have ended "better."

I'm not disappointed with the ending, it just kind of left me with a dumbfounded feeling. Not that the ending is confusing but with a "huh, it's really over" thought lingering in my head for a few days. While some people are  complaining about how it ends, I don't think the ending at all diminishes the astounding things the actors and writers did/created through the previous seasons of the show. I think when a series ends you have to evaluate not the last episode (unless it's absolutely horrible) but the series as a whole. Consider how the characters grew, and how the story arcs played out. Look back at the show, its characters and what it was able to accomplish over 5 seasons (such as amazing storytelling and amazing acting) and discuss it on those merits. Sure, every die hard fan has ideas of how it could have ended but we have to accept what was given to us.

I know I keep saying "great acting and great storytelling" which seem vague. I just don't want to give anything away if you've never seen it. I can say that this was a very thought provoking and imaginative series with very dedicated actors and writers. The tiny details that each applied to each scene are the icing on a very elaborate and well made cake. Many shows today don't take the time to make you think, to make you watch the background to a scene for extra clues, to make you care about the characters and to push the boundaries of what we expect a show to be able to do (not just entertain but to often surprise us as viewers). While not every episode or every story arc was mind-bending or awesome, by and far these talented entertainers and writers created a show beyond what most shows reach for today and beyond what the majority are able to achieve.

I guess it seems like I'm rambling now, but I can't express enough how awesome this show was and how grateful I am that it got to run as long as it did and it was able to show me how phenomenal television shows can be. While the term "fringe" in the show relates to the "fringe" sciences or science that is at the edge of human understanding or science that departs from mainstream theories; "fringe" (at least in my opinion) also relates to television that departs from mainstream entertainment. Now if we can just get some more shows to take note people might actually start taking television programming seriously as artistic and creative expression instead of just a mind-numbing boob-tube time drain.

No comments: