Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Pathos = Laughter

I decided to share this story just for it's comedic value. If pathetic situations do not amuse you, read no further. Or continue to read but don't bother me if you become disinterested and disappointed.


So, out of boredom, I decided to wander yahoo chat rooms to find people to chat with. I was astounded to find that very few of these people exist. Rooms say 200 people, but everyone is either a bot, a creep, a scammer or someone looking exclusively for those other three. But I did not give up in my quest, and after 20 minutes of jumping rooms I finally came across 3 people who were up for actually talking. Things seemed pretty normal at first, just chatting up how Beethoven began his career crafting blues masterpieces after traveling the Southern states with his friend Haydn. Okay, that sounds strange, but for me it's normal, making up historic stuff. And in this instance I wasn't the one who came up with the story, I just followed along because it was funny. Anyways, so before I know it we go from discussing Beethoven to discussing universal healthcare. I thought you weren't supposed to talk politics with strangers? So then there's me, at 1am arguing against 3 people (two of whom resort to namecalling because they have no legitimate knowledge of the facts to debate) and I begin to wonder if this is really a good use of my time and my neighbor's internet. It's also the reason I don't have internet at home, so I don't spend hours wasting my time online. By 2am I was over it, and subsequently went to bed. What a beautiful glimpse into the trials and tribulations in the life of Jenny.


I also realized something the other day. I'm a big fan of making up new phrases for pop culture. I like to say, when people want a specific invitation to an event (like telling them about it isn't enough you have to roll out the red carpet) that they "want a golden ticket". Some people get it, some people don't. I came up with this one after thinking a lot about the death of conversation and how no one tells you that they don't want to talk to you they just stop asking you questions (like in IM or email), so I thought a good way to address the dying conversation and determine if it is dead or if your companion doesn't realize that it's dying and is still interested in conversing would be to say "Has this gum lost its flavor"? Or something to that effect. I think it's witty.


Ultimately I hope everyone can read the stuff in this post and get a good laugh. While it's true, it's also pathetic; and pathos always equals laughter.

No comments: